Sunday 13 October 2013

Tutorial - Bright Red Lip

I love to rock a bright red lip whenever I can but applying and keeping a Bright lipstick in place can be tricky. Here is how I do it and I hope you find this little tutorial useful.

Step 1 - Exfoliate
You need perfect smooth lips to pull off a bright lip colour as it will show every single line and groove of the lips. So dry flakey lips are a big no no!
I use a lip scrub from Lush in the popcorn flavour this little pot costs about £5-£6 but will last a very long time. You dip your finger in and gentle scrub across the lips and then rinse off with warm water. After this your lips can feel a little abused so onto the next step.

Step 2 - Moisturise
To soften the lips and to keep them looking their best you now need to moisterise them. I use the Nuxe Reve De Miel balm which leaves my lips feeling very hydrated and soft. For the best results leave this to sink in for approximately 10 minutes.

Step 3 - Line
This is such a important step that so many people miss out but if you do your lipstick on the inner parts of your lips will be gone within the hour. This gives the perfect base to apply your lipstick on top of and makes it last a lot longer. It also prevents any unsightly cranks forming in the colour and stops it bleeding out.
Bright lipsticks don't last very long but using a liner at least doubles the wear time so try to find one that is a similar colour to the lipstick that your using. Here I have used a Barry M lip liner in colour number 3.

Step 4 - Apply Lipstick
This works best for me with a lip brush as I feel like I have more control and can apply the lipstick with more precision.
Don't overload the lips with product or it will smudge about. Don't be afraid to make any mistakes as they can always be corrected with a makeup remover soaked cotton bud afterwards.
If you do decide to rock a bright lip I suggest carrying a compact mirror with you and the lipstick for any reapplication and to check for smudging. My red lipstick of choice is the YSL Rouge Pur Couture in shade 01 Le Rouge. 

I hope some of you find this useful and if you have any tips for me please leave them in the comments below. 
Jodie x

No comments: